Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Dead, April 29, 2009 Izod Arena, NJ

Certainly shorter entries because I didn't come alone for once. Nevertheless a absolute treasure chest of comedy. I've been to numerous concerts over the past 25 years but this is my first Dead show and it certainly is different. There is more dope being smoked here than a reggae festival. You have a contact high within 90 seconds of walking in here. The parking lot was insane. The pharmaceuticals being offered reminded me of Central Park in the mid 80s with more advanced chemistry. My favorite was the hard core Deadheads who don't want their picture taken; like the camera will steal a part of their soul.

Branford Marselies has been on stage with them for the last four songs and the man is incredible. His sound adds so much it's amazing.

I feel like the last non stoned person in NJ. Have to retract what I said 2 weeks ago about female attire at concerts in New Jersey. Clearly this audience is the exception. I've seen every look except for Bon Jovi acid wash. I've seen everything from Pipi Longstocking to Romanian Gypsy. There are women who have never put a razor to their arm pits and women in sequined dresses. Aside from no Bon Jovi look alikes I'd say there are no Vineyard Vines here as well. If they were they'd have beer or bong water poured all over their heads.

Likewise in a crowd of aging hipsters like this I'm average aged as opposed to an old fart. Middle age never felt so good (until we have to go to work tomorrow).

Marsalies in Space is crazy good.

No comments:

Post a Comment