Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Springsteen, May 21, 2009 Izod Arena, NJ

Springsteen tonight. Not expecting as much blogging as I am not flying solo. Also there were some isolated calls to have an intervention with me to stop this exercise. In response to these efforts I say NEVER!! However I will shorten the distribution list.

Tonight's initial theme going into the concert is the difficult transition from professional attire to concert wear. My primary concern is that I look like an idiot. I've gone to numerous concerts directly from the office and the transition has always been a challenge. I've been to MSG shows where dudes are still in business suits which is beyond lame. If you are going to wear a blazer to a concert you should be attending a John Tesh concert, not Bruce, Buffett or a similar performer.

My problem is that I'm such a formal person at the office. I wear a suit and tie 99% of the time. Any other person at my office would wear jeans to work and go straight to the show. For me dressing down for work means a sports coat and tie as opposed to a suit. Think Frank Drebin in the 1st Naked Gun movie. To the people I work with the sight of me in jeans, cowboy boots, and t-shirt would create endless ridicule so I'm forced to be covert in this endeavor.

Essentially I pull the Superman move by ducking into the equivalent of a phone booth looking like Clarke Kent and reappearing as superfan. In my case I go down to the storage room in the basement of my office building, ditch the suit and don my boots to complete the transformation. It's amazing I'm 40 years old and still playing games like this but you gotta do what you gotta do...

Preppiest crowd I've ever seen. Obviously it's not the Dead, country or even Buffett. Keep in mind Born to Run came out in 1975 which will tell you how old this joint is.

In terms of criticism can I suggest Bruce is on steroids or HGH. Women look at thin women and say eating disorder, or they see big boobs and call them fake. Bruce's biceps are Hulk Hoganesque. He's 60. Is making that suggestion going to have lighting strike me?

I'm on the floor as opposed to regular seats. Now considering I'm a borderline (or over the boarder) alcoholic my experience might be different. So I guess if you want to get close to the stage, you forsake beer and bathroom breaks. I've already made 70 enemies moving 20 yards into the crowd. I'd love to be 40 yards from the stage, but the cost (lack of beer) is too high.

Strong shout to the Community Food Bank of New Jersey which one of my oldest friend's mother started 30 years ago out of her station wagon in Summit, NJ. In 25 years of going to see Bruce he has never failed to mentioned Kathleen DiChiara and the NJ food bank.

Unfair to rank Bruce concerts for me. I'm certain to have seen him almost 20 times and saying a show is not top ten is not a disparaging comment. Nevertheless this show falls in the middle, maybe towards the back.

A question for everyone who says Bruce is a great guy in real life. How can you keep your ego in check when every time you show up to work people go insane and scream your name. Between the roids and the adulation I would expect him to be a megalomaniac.

Also 25 years of Bruce and 1st time I've ever heard Jungleland live. Quite the bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment